Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

You there! Stand in the corner!

While this article in the NY Times is funny, and shows some nice little ways to buck the system... this part caught my eye:
"Most people participate in this sort of behavior on some level, Professor Scott said, adding that his own habit was to write "England" rather than "United Kingdom" on letters he sends to his British friends. He described this as his way of disregarding British claims to Wales and Scotland."
For a "professor" you'd think he'd understand that Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and England are two seperate places.

No I didn't mis-count there. The British Isles are a landmass, not Great Britain. The "United Kingdom of Great Britain" (the UK) is a political division of the land within that landmass. Great Britain is an abriviation of the UK's full title.

Wales and Scotland are legally, physically, and historically part of the United Kingdom. They are also part of Great Britain. England is also a part of both. England has no specific claim to either (certainly not as far as Scotland goes) it is juut that the seat of government for the United Kingdom is based in England.

To say the British have no claim to Wales and Scotland is like saying American's have no claim to Ohio and New York. Its completely silly. The two states signed up to be part of the Union, just as Wales and Scotland did. Moreover - people in those two places are British/American.

I know none of my American friends are silly enough to equate British with English (except perhaps when refering to accents), but there does seem to be aparently a lot of confusion about.. well anything outside the USA's borders, but this in particular about my little northerly island.

I really hope he wasn't a Professor of Geography... or politics.

[posted from Twilight Universe]


( 7 comments — Leave a comment )
(Deleted comment)
17th Mar, 2005 16:33 (UTC)
lol.. no, then that guy might have more of a point.

I mean.. a least Australia is a colony of the Commonwealth (notice I went nowhere near explaining THAT beast of a political monster).
(Deleted comment)
17th Mar, 2005 17:04 (UTC)
I know! :P

Was being silly back :P

*pokes you with the silly stick* ;)
17th Mar, 2005 23:55 (UTC)
i don't know if i approve of you poking other women
17th Mar, 2005 17:06 (UTC)
wow, i always wondered why there were so many different names/forms of the same country. this was my educational moment of the day. thanks greg! :)
17th Mar, 2005 19:40 (UTC)
well there you go :) glad I could inform you!

For extra clarification though you might like to check the comments directly below :)
17th Mar, 2005 19:04 (UTC)
Actually, The UK's full title is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain refers to the part that encompasses England, Scotland and Wales as you said. Being British covers being English, Welsh or Scottish but not Irish.

I aint no hick! *grin*
17th Mar, 2005 19:39 (UTC)

Good point, but not entirely accurate. Its a matter of emphasis.

its "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" in other words - its the historic entity of the United Kingdom of Great Britain (england, scotland, wales.. basically the big landmass) plus N. Ireland.

But the full poltical title is that yes :)

No you ain't no hick ;)
( 7 comments — Leave a comment )